[cvsnt] Re: Problem importing files including 0x1A character

David Hauck davidh at netacquire.com
Wed Oct 12 16:17:03 BST 2005

Hi Tony/Gill,

> Gill Ernst wrote:
> > Originally it was from the brief editor, but later one we use
> > CodeWrite. CodeWrite opens all files in binary mode and appends
> > for sure all new text after the EOF. It seems all other tools are
> > also working with binary mode, so no one was detecting this problem
> > until now.
>
> Sounds like a bug in CodeWrite.

Sorry, I picked up this thread mid-stream... WRT CodeWright, it allows for
complete specification of ^Z handling. So, both of you are "right" ;). By
default CW will not truncate a *text* file on input when it encounters a ^Z
mid-file; it will also, by default, not output a ^Z as the last character
when outputting a text file. Gill, I'm not sure what you mean by suggesting
that CW appends all text after the EOF - I've never seen that (again, by
default, if CW encounters an embedded ^Z it will allow insertion of text
before it or after it).

HTH,
-David