[cvsnt] Re: Problem importing files including 0x1A character

Gill Ernst Ernst.Gill at sat-automation.com
Wed Oct 12 16:34:12 BST 2005

>Hi Tony/Gill,
>
>> Gill Ernst wrote:
>> > Originally it was from the brief editor, but later one we use
>> > CodeWrite. CodeWrite opens all files in binary mode and appends
>> > for sure all new text after the EOF. It seems all other tools are
>> > also working with binary mode, so no one was detecting this problem
>> > until now.
>>
>> Sounds like a bug in CodeWrite.
>
>Sorry, I picked up this thread mid-stream... WRT CodeWright,
>it allows for
>complete specification of ^Z handling. So, both of you are
>"right" ;). By
>default CW will not truncate a *text* file on input when it
>encounters a ^Z
>mid-file; it will also, by default, not output a ^Z as the
>last character
>when outputting a text file. Gill, I'm not sure what you mean
>by suggesting
>that CW appends all text after the EOF - I've never seen that
>(again, by
>default, if CW encounters an embedded ^Z it will allow
>insertion of text
>before it or after it).
>
>HTH,
>-David
>
>> The ^Z convention goes all the way back to CP/M...
>>
>> Some history..
>>
>> http://blogs.msdn.com/oldnewthing/archive/2004/03/16/90448.aspx
>>
>> > But why the hell is this working when I add or modify
>> > such a file and later on commit it to the CVSNT server.
>> > It looks like you are using binary mode in this case.
>>
>> The RCS files are accessed as binary, as they're always Unix
>standard,
>> but the client always accesses text files as text (so that the line
>> endings work, amongst other things).

>them as binary
>> >

>> > No, it must be a text file.
>> >
>> You have a choice - remove the ^Z to turn them into valid
>text files, or
>> add as binary... no third option, unfortunately.
>>
>> Tony

Thanks, yes we know our CodeWrite was configured wrong.
For sure we have to remove all the ^Z/EOF.
I hope there is nothing else around in our files.

	Ernst

Ernst Gill

VA TECH SAT GmbH & Co
Ruthnergasse 1
A-1210 Wien, Austria

Phone: (+43/1) 29129 4338
Fax: (+43/1) 29 28 838 or (+43/1) 29129 4649
e-mail: ernst.gill at sat-automation.com
Internet: http://www.sat-automation.com