[cvsnt] Re: Filename mapping problem

Torsten Martinsen tma at gatehouse.dk
Fri Oct 14 12:31:42 BST 2005

Tony Hoyle wrote:
> Torsten Martinsen wrote:
>> Server: CVSNT 2.5.02.2083 (Linux)
>> Client: CVSNT 2.5.01.2025 (Windows XP)
>>
>> When updating a module containing a filename with a 'ü'
> character, I get the message "Characters from server lost in
> translation" and the file is created with the ü character missing.
>>
>> Can something be tweaked to at least allow filenames using
> ISO-8859-1 characters to work properly?
>>

> The other possibility is the server is in something like 7-bit ASCII
> and the filenames it's sending are invalid (because they contain 8 bit
> characters).  Solaris has this problem by default, although
> it's easy to
> workaround by setting LANG=en_US.ISO8859-1
>
> You can check what codepages are in use by doing something like
> 'cvs -ttt ver' on the sandbox.. the codepage is in the first
> few lines of output.

Doing this gave me

  -> Server codepage is ANSI_X3.4-1968
  -> Client codepage is CP1252

So I tried forcing the codepage on the server by putting this in inetd.conf:

	cvspserver      stream  tcp     nowait  root    /usr/bin/env env LANG=en_US.ISO8859-1 /usr/local/bin/cvs        pserver

(and restarting inetd). Unfortunately, CVS still says that the server codepages is ANSI_X3.4-1968. Disabling codepage translation with -O appears to work, but I would like not to have to specify -O.

-Torsten