[cvsnt] Re: Error reading from server ####: -1: Unknown Error

Jakob Kruse kruse at kruse-net.dk
Sun Oct 16 22:44:11 BST 2005

We use various machines for development. On many of them we have no control
over our login/username, so we generally always use the CVSROOT syntax you
described:

:sspi:My Username at cvs.###.dk:/repo

We generally use TortoiseCVS in our work. When the response from the CVS
server indicates that login has not been performed already, Tortoise prompts
for a password and then sends a cvs login command. But then again I'm sure
you are already familiar with this.

What my friend did was to try a new checkout using his own username, which
worked (no prompt for password because he has logged in on that particular
machine using that particular username and cvs server long before cvsnt 2.5
saw the light of day). Then he tried the very same checkout using another
persons username, and that didn't work.

Are there any tests you can suggest that might help in tracking down this
error? I can reproduce it very consistently on at least 10 client pc's
running all sorts of different software, in multiple repositories, using
multiple usernames - on the same server. I won't say it only occurs on this
particular server, but I don't have any other servers to try. Anyway, some
clients work fine, and I can't find a pattern.

The most obvious test case is when I do different checkouts
_on_the_server_itself_. Using the default sspi username (that is, specifying
none in the CVSROOT), I will get the error when accessing the server using
it's internet name (cvs.###.dk) and I will not get the error using the lan
name for the machine or "localhost".

Should it be helpful I can provide a login on the server in question.

Regards,
Jakob Kruse

news:ifa5l11caub58dprom7g3ngtoa1ts8r456 at 4ax.com...