[cvsnt] Re: CVS Backups

Luigi D. Sandon cp at sandon.it
Wed Oct 19 10:39:54 BST 2005

> So, thats why I am wondering what others are doing and if a Hot Backup would
> cause problems?

I guess hot backups may be a problem if someone has locked and is
modifying the file - but never tried. The file could be skipped, or
worse, a yet incomplete copy could be written. Usually hot backups
require some cooperation from the application (i.e. Oracle keeps data in
the logs while datafiles are backed up).

I use an incremental backup strategy. The full repository is backed up
weekly, and incremental backups are performed daily. Backups are to
files on a dedicated storage (to allow for faster recovery) and then
moved to tape.

--
LDs