[cvsnt] Re: CVSNT 2.6 database engine?

Tony Hoyle tony.hoyle at march-hare.com
Fri Oct 21 18:21:25 BST 2005

Bo Berglund wrote:
> Tony,
> now I must still my curiosity about CVSNT 2.6 (should possibly be
> promoted to 3.0 instead?).
>
> You mention 'database' when you occationally comment on something and
> refer to 2.6. So I wonder what engine will be used?

Initially SQLite, since it requires no installation or external
maintenence - that will be the normal default.

At some point during the 2.6 cycle support will also be available for
Postgres, MSSQL (via ODBC), Oracle and possibly others... the Postgres
and ODBC engines are already there in the audit support.

It's likely MySql support will remain but be slowly depreciated (license
issues... we need to link our proprietary stuff to the APIs too and
paying £300/client for the commercial version just isn't practical when
the entire application ships for £80 a copy...  that pins us to MySql
3.23 which won't keep working forever with the newer servers).

> And what exactly will be stored in the database? The admin data or the
> actual files or both?

Currently it's planned there will be at least 2 databases - a global one
(users, groups, repositories, global config), and one per repository*.

> I can see a size problem with storing files because at least MSDE2000
> is limited to a 2Gb total database size.

At the moment all the data is in the RCS files.. it'll end up in the
database in the 3.0 timeframe...  SQLite has no filesize limits so that
won't be an issue (if you want to stick with MSDE a developer edition of
SQLServer will do the same job and ships with MSDN if you have that).

Tony

* In actual fact these may be the same physical database - especially in
oracle where it's a royal pain in the ass to create new ones...