[cvsnt] CVS not keeping file "modified" time stamp

justin at postgresql.org justin at postgresql.org
Tue Oct 25 06:13:11 BST 2005

Hi all,

In my day job I work for a financial institution, where we are
implementing CVSNT (2.x) to assist with our software version control
requirements as part of legislative requirements (SOX).  As client
software, we're using Eclipse 3.x.

One of our core vendor supplied applications, called HiPortfolio, that
has been placed under (CVSNT) version control absolutely requires it's
file's "last modified" timestamps to be kept intact throughout the
entire CVS operational process.  From check in of new/updated files,
checking them out by others, etc.

The problem we're experiencing is that when a file is checked in (after
being updated), the file's timestamps are reset to the check in time
instead of preserving the timestamps actually on the file.

After spending quite a lot of the days testing out various options,
various client software, and reading many, many potentially related
message in the CVSNT and various CVS archives, I'm not seeing any kind
of work around nor solution.

Does anyone know of a way where we can have CVSNT preserve the
timestamps on a file rather than reset them to the commit time?

Regards and best wishes,

Justin Clift