[cvsnt] Re: static file

Olaf Groeger Olaf.Groeger at gmx.de
Tue Oct 25 07:27:31 BST 2005

Tony Hoyle wrote:

> Olaf Groeger wrote:
>> to be a clever way to implement, i think it is a bad idea, because all
>> frontends mark a static file now as "not modified" regardless of it real
>> status. This means that if i change a static file somewhere in my sandbox
>
> That *is* its real status.  A static file is never considered modified -
> that's the whole point.

No, Tony, the status is modified. Modified in the sandbox, because i changed
the file. But the frontends consider it as uptodate=*not* modified. So if i
activate the flat mode in WinCVS to see modified files, the modified static
file is not shown and the message from WinCVS for me is that my sandbox is
*identical* to the repository, which is obviously wrong because i changed a
file. This means that the static file like you define it("never considered
modified") undermines the mutual trust between cvs and the developer,
because cvs reports an incorrect status about the sandbox. cvs reports that
the sandbox is untouched, but it in fact a file is different.

My proposition was to change the definition of a static file to "will not
committed unless forced".

Olaf