[cvsnt] CVS not keeping file "modified" time stamp

Arthur Barrett arthur.barrett at march-hare.com
Tue Oct 25 10:13:35 BST 2005

Justin,

>One of our core vendor supplied applications, called HiPortfolio, that
>has been placed under (CVSNT) version control absolutely requires it's
>file's "last modified" timestamps to be kept intact throughout the
>entire CVS operational process.  From check in of new/updated files,
>checking them out by others, etc.

I agree with Tony's reply but just wanted to add my two cents worth.

If HiPortfolio is time stamp sensitive and you want to version it with
CVSNT then the best thing is to make the canonical version the checked
in version and the canonical time the checkin time.

This works well since if any files are modified then CVSNT will change
the timestamp and HiPortfolio will break.

The same theory applies to build management with CVSNT.  CVSNT using the
checkin time (rather than the last modified time of the file at checkin)
works provided that the build management system uses that as the
canonical time (ie: only the build management system can checking
compiled code).

Regards,

Arthur Barrett