[cvsnt] cvsnt configuration for eclipse and sspi

Mark Johnson amarkjohnson at gmail.com
Tue Oct 25 15:43:52 BST 2005

I am using cvsnt 2.5.02 (Servlan) Build 2088 on linux for my server.
CVSNT 2.5.02 (Servlan) Build 2064 on my windows clients and using both
WinCvs and TortoiseCVS.  We are using the sspi protocol, and so far
all is working well.

Our developers use  Eclipse (3.0.1), and MyEclipse (3.8.3), and really
want to integrate it into cvs.  I have read much about this, and have
tried in various ways, but have always hit problems.  I have the
following questions.

1. I think that is is necessary to set (in /etc/cvsnt/PServer):
Compat0_OldVersion=1
   Is this the only server setting that must be modified?
   What functionality do I lose by doing this? ...things that WinCVS
and/or Tortoise might have problems with.
   Will this be maintained into the future?
   Can I change this flag mid-stream for a repository?....i.e. does it
change the way things are stored in the repository, or only the way
the server interacts with the client?

2. I modified my extnt.ini as follows
   [slcp3esgcvs01]
   protocol=sspi
   hostname=slcp3esgcvs01
   directory=/cvsrepo
   This allowed me to use the ext protocol in eclipse, but it would
create a cvsroot like
   :ext:mjohnso2 at slcp3esgcvs01:/cvsrepo.  This required me to use cvs
login because my username is included.  I do not know if I can make
eclipse not include my username.  I assume that cvsnt was converting
the actual protocol to sspi, but I'm not sure about that.  Is there a
way to know for sure?  If it is using sspi, is there a way to make
cvsnt ignore the username, or remove it before communicating with the
server?

3. If my CVSROOT is :ext: instead of :sspi:, but my extnt.ini is
modified to use sspi, then shouldn't WinCVS work the same way?  If so,
it there a way to do the same with Tortoise (it uses it's own cvs.exe,
and I don't see an extnt.ini file)?

I realize some of these questions are eclipse/WinCVS/TortoiseCVS
related, but I had to start somewhere, and the main questions are
cvsnt related.  Thanks for any and all help you can give me.

Mark