[cvsnt] Re: static file

Olaf Groeger Olaf.Groeger at gmx.de
Tue Oct 25 18:17:08 BST 2005

Tony Hoyle wrote:

> You should not *care* about the state of a static file.  If the state
> matters to you then it sounds like you've misunderstood what they're for.

I thought it would be helpful for all configuration files, which are subject
to be changed in a sandbox (database connection data, log4j.xml and others)
for every developer, but which should be unchanged in the repository. For
instance the log4j.xml in the repository contains minimal or not logging
(for release builds), but a developer changes this file naturally to log
data if his interest. The way you use it makes no sense for me, and the
possibilities to misapply this feature convince me to prohibit the use in
our code guidelines.

Anyway, thanks for the discussion.
Olaf