SV: [cvsnt] Re: Why "nothing known about" message?

Bo Berglund Bo.Berglund at system3r.se
Sun Oct 30 15:30:58 GMT 2005

Dear Jakob,
the post by me that you reference is quite old (I'd say more than a year old or so) and
it applies to a rather peculiar configuration that we no longer have. At the time we had
our original structure where we had a separate *repository* for certain types of files and
projects and so we could not us ethe modules or modules2 admin files to define virtual
modules. Instead we used batch files that were checked out in the main project and when
executed they checked out the dependent files.
My problem at the time was caused by the fact that we tried to compress the path of the
dependent files when checked out to the project sandbox so we forced a folder on the
server that was say 4 levels deep to be checked out at one folder depth. But apparently
this made our version of CVSNT confused when it was time to do a project wide update.

Later we restructured the server to have all earlier separate repositories arranged as top
level modules insteads. After this we could use the modules file to manage the virtual
modules that we really wanted to use.

So inclding my earlier post into your query is really kind of misleading since you have
a completely different problem where you have used the cvs rename function (which we
are not even permitting on our server)...

Furthermore you should have also supplied details about your configuration, like
the version of cvs on both the server and the client (4-digit version please).
And also a sample session output which shows the problems is in order.

/Bo

PS:
Sorry for top-posting, it is due to the fact that my newsreader cannot find the
cvsnt news server anymore. Apparently it is off-line at the moment. So I have to
use the email gateway and I use Outlook at work, hence the position of my text.
DS