[cvsnt] Re: Removal of the needed COMMIT-parameter -r

Oliver Giesen ogware at gmx.net
Mon Sep 5 08:11:24 BST 2005

<jelinek.robert at siemens.com> wrote:

> 1.) I have a sandbox anywhere inside the main-trunk (it could also be
> the HEAD-revisions).
> 2.) I am working on a new feature, so I have to change some files (I
> do not add any additional files).
> 3.) During my work, I decide to save me changings, but I would not
> like to have it in the main-trunk, so I decide to do it on a branch,
> which will be merged later into the main trunk.
> 4.) I create a branch based on the version in my local sandbox, f.e.
> FEATURE123
> 5.) I would like to commit my changings to the branch. This fails,
> because my sandbox was a checkout of the main trunk and not of the new
> branch FEATURE123. An update to the FEATURE123-branch is difficult,
> because automatic merges are forbidden by official authorities

What automatic merges???

1. CVS never performs such a thing as automatic meges in the sense that
merge results are never automatically incorporated into the repository.
You always have to commit them yourself. And I don't think we need to
talk about the necessity of reviewing any changes before commit. This
is entirely your own responsibility. The tool just eases the first step.

2. AFAIHU you only just created the FEATURE123 branch which means there
would be nothing to merge in the first place. Merging only takes place
when there are differences between the current base revision and the
revision you update to. In this case however, as the branch was just
freshly created by you on the very set of files currently in your
sandbox, there could not be any genuine branch revisions yet and thus
base revision and target revision are guaranteed to be identical for
all files and thus there will be no merge upon updating to the new
branch.

> (because this leads to an inclusion of the tool [cvsnt] into safety
> and security considerations).

Sorry, but, in this specific context: Huh?

Cheers,

--
Oliver
JID:  ogiesen at jabber.org