[cvsnt] Re: Unknown escape character '\C' ignored

Bo Berglund bo.berglund at telia.com
Mon Sep 5 21:22:52 BST 2005

On Mon, 05 Sep 2005 13:18:11 +0200, Björn L <bigbear at home.se> wrote:

>Hi!
>
>When I'm trying to commit to my cvs I get the following:
>------------------
>In C:\jobb\code\Engine: "C:\Program Files\TortoiseCVS\cvs.exe" "-q"
>"commit" "-m" "" "TODO.txt"
>CVSROOT=:pserver:username at computer-ip:/CVSROOT
>
>Checking in TODO.txt;
>/CVSROOT/Engine/TODO.txt,v  <--  TODO.txt
>new revision: 1.4; previous revision: 1.3
>done
>Unknown escape character '\C' ignored.
>Unknown escape character '\C' ignored.
>Unknown escape character '\C' ignored.
>Unknown escape character '\C' ignored.
>Script execution failed
>------------------
>where username is my username and computer-ip is changed to the ip to my
>cvs-computer.
>
>I read that "unknown escape character"-error could arise when using
>backslash instead of forward slash in the *info-files in CVSROOT. But
>none of them contains a backslash as far as I can see.
>
>Does anyone have a clue what could cause this error?

What do you have in your CVSROOT/loginfo script?
And what is in the CVSROOT/postcommand script?

If any of these contain references to a program where a path specifier
is used it might result in this if you use backslashes. But only if
one of the folders or the actual program starst with a C.
Maybe you use my CVSMailer? In that case the loginfo file might look
like this:
DEFAULT C:\Programs\CVSMailer\CVSMailer.exe ....
And here you get the error due to the folder and file start. Change
this to:
DEFAULT C:/Programs/CVSMailer/CVSMailer.exe ....
and you should be good to go.

BTW, which version of CVSNT are you using on the server?

/Bo
(Bo Berglund, developer in Sweden)