[cvsnt] MSI installer does not work from subst:ed drives

Bo Berglund bo.berglund at telia.com
Mon Sep 19 19:57:27 BST 2005

I just wanted to try out the MSI insteller and see if that would do
something different from the InnoSetup installer I have used so far.
So I downloaded the 2094 msi file to a location on my F: drive, then
launced it and set the various options.
When I clicked the "Install" button it threw an error message about
problems reading the msi file (which is the one I started in the first
place).

It turns out that the reason it fails is that my F: drive is a subst
drive physically located on my C: drive. I have had to do this when I
got my new PC because I don't have extra physical drives anymore and I
have a lot of files that were located on F: in my old PC and have ini
settings etc thta point there. So I subst:ed the backed up tree from
C:\DATA\F to F:.
This has worked fine for all cases so far except the CVSNT MSI
installer.
Is there any explanation on why this happens? The Inno installer does
not care about this.

/Bo
(Bo Berglund, developer in Sweden)