[cvsnt] Re: Cvsroot on network share

McCullough, Ryan rmccullough at rightnow.com
Wed Sep 21 20:07:59 BST 2005

Bo,

I think you don't understand the problem. I am a developer in this
organization. I do not manage the CVS repository.

We do not have a CVS server running anywhere and the cvs repository being
moved to the local disk of one of the linux servers is out of my control so
not an option.

Simply what I want to do is be able to checkout the source onto my local
disk.

The way this was done previously on linux was pointing your cvs root at the
location on the mounted nfs (ie /net/source/cvsroot). And then doing a cvs
co <module>.

I want to do the same thing but on windows with a windows client (Yes, I
know about the LF vs CRLF issues and how linux users must use linux clients
and windows users must use windows clients).

So, I tried doing a checkout where my cvsroot was set to
\\sambaserver\net\source\cvsroot but it doesn't work with the error
previously mentioned.

I then tried using the :ext: protocol from the command line but that does
not work either with the errors previously mentioned. The :ext: protocol
works using tortoiseCVS, but it does not work with the command line cvs.exe
binary from CVSNT.org.

Does this make more sense?

-Ryan