[cvsnt] Re: problem committing edited file with watch on

Bo Berglund Bo.Berglund at system3r.se
Thu Sep 22 15:55:36 BST 2005

-----Original Message-----
From: cvsnt-bounces at cvsnt.org [mailto:cvsnt-bounces at cvsnt.org]On Behalf
Of Gerhard Fiedler
Sent: den 22 september 2005 16:41
To: cvsnt at cvsnt.org
Subject: [cvsnt] Re: problem committing edited file with watch on

Greg Norris wrote:

> It looks ok except when I tried to commit a change it said that it failed
> up-to-date check. so I did a get clean copy and then re-try the commit
> with the same results.

If you get the up-to-date message then it means that someone else has committed
a more recent version to the server than the one you staretd out with before
your edits were done.
If you "get the clean copy" then you will only discard whatever changes you have
done, but you will still have the same revision of the file and it is not the
latest revision.
What you must do is the following:
cvs update <filename>
without any other options. This will get you the HEAD revision from the server.

But if the file has been checked out or updated to a "sticky tag" then this will
not work either, now you need to do:
cvs update -A <filename>
to get rid of the sticky tag.

Once the file is on HEAD you can edit it and commit your changes.