[cvsnt] cvslock trying to connect to multicast address?

Arthur Barrett arthur.barrett at march-hare.com
Thu Sep 22 23:09:59 BST 2005

Kevin,

> That explains why it falls over on machines with only
> dial-up internet access then.

I travel a lot (!) and have a repository on my laptop and it's never
crashed (currently 2.5.02.2091).  The problem you are describing here is
different to the multicast question - please report the actual commands
and error messages in a separate post with a descriptive subject line.

You can also install a loopback connection as described here:
Win2000: http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;236869
Or
WinXP: http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;839013

> I have to run with LockServer=none,
> LockDir=H:\CVS\Locks and the cvslock service
> disabled.

That feature is no longer supported.

See Tony's comments for more info.

> The standard installation will work, but only if I
> briefly connect and then re-start the lock server
> with a network present.

This statement implies that sometimes it doesn't work.  Please specify
what you think "working" is, why you think that it is not "working" and
the exact circumstances involved are.

Also remember to include the CVSNT client and Server version numbers,
Operating system name and version and service pack level, and the exact
commands involved and the exact wording of any error messages.  Traces
and other system information (set, ipconfig, cvsdiag etc) are also often
helpful.

Regards,

Arthur