[cvsnt] Re: Terminal server errors with machine name with/out DNS

Arthur Barrett arthur.barrett at march-hare.com
Fri Sep 23 03:29:03 BST 2005

> I upgraded to CVSNT 2.5.02

Which build?  2088 is the current stable build.

> Here is my CVSNT error msg with the
> username not used as CVS root:
> \cvs.exe" "-q" "-x" "login"
> CVSROOT=:sspi:ransom.eecs.berkeley.edu:/work

You do not need to "login" if you are using SSPI - also it looks like
you are using Tortoise - to simplify debugging please use the command
line instead.

>From the command line please report the results of:
cvs version

cvs info -r ransom.eecs.berkeley.edu

cvs -d:sspi:ransom.eecs.berkeley.edu:/work rlog CVSROOT/cvswrappers

>Logging in to :sspi:sprinkle at ransom.eecs.berkeley.edu:2401:/work
>cvs.exe [login aborted]: unrecognized auth response from
>ransom.eecs.berkeley.edu:

I suspect this is because you've upgraded the server CVSNT version but
not upgraded TortoiseCVS.  TortoiseCVS uses CVSNT to connect to the
server - but has it's own private copy that is stored in the directory
where you installed Tortoise.  So upgrading the server hasn't affected
the client.  The client may be too old to connect to the newer server.

Using the command line should rule this out (if the CVS Server cvs.exe
has a higher precendence on your path than the Tortosie cvs.exe).

If your version ("cvs version") is not 2.5.02 then hard code the path
and re-run the tests I mentioned above, eg:
"c:\Program Files\CVSNT\cvs.exe" version

"c:\Program Files\CVSNT\cvs.exe" version

"c:\Program Files\CVSNT\cvs.exe" info -r ransom.eecs.berkeley.edu

"c:\Program Files\CVSNT\cvs.exe" -d:sspi:ransom.eecs.berkeley.edu:/work
rlog CVSROOT/cvswrappers

Regards,

Arthur