[cvsnt] Binary files are imported as text files (CVSNT 2.5.02 #2096)

Thomas Singer cvsnt at smartcvs.com
Fri Sep 23 08:31:43 BST 2005

Hi Tony,

While running our SmartCVS regression tests I've found out that CVSNT 2.5.02
#2096 imports even binary files with the text file keyword substitution
mode. This used to work in CVSNT 2.0.58d and still works in GNU CVS 1.11.14,
our "reference" server.

How to reproduce?
- create a simple mini project locally, e.g.

   [test-project]
   + [dir]
   | \ file.bin
   \ file.txt

   the file.bin should have binary content

- use SmartCVS' "Admin|Track 3rd-Pary Sources (Import)" menu item,
   enter/select the test-project's root path and continue

The generated requests are:

> BEGIN AUTH REQUEST
> F:/_jemmy-repository
> tom
> @encodedPassword@
> END AUTH REQUEST
> Valid-responses E M MT Updated Checked-in ok error Clear-static-directory Valid-requests Merged Removed Copy-file Mod-time Mode Kopt Template Set-static-directory Module-expansion Clear-sticky Set-sticky New-entry
> valid-requests
> UseUnchanged
> Root F:/_jemmy-repository
> Gzip-stream 6
> @from now on the content is gzipped@
> Argument -b
> Argument 1.1.1
> Argument -m
> Argument initial import
> Argument -k
> Argument o
> Argument -I !
> Argument -W
> Argument *.bin -k 'b'
> Argument project
> Argument vendor-tag
> Argument release-tag
> Directory .
> F:/_jemmy-repository/project
> Modified file.txt
> u=rw,g=r,o=r
> 11
> Directory dir
> F:/_jemmy-repository/project/dir
> Kopt -kb
> Modified file.bin
> u=rw,g=r,o=r
> 6
> Directory .
> F:/_jemmy-repository/project
> import
> @until here the content is gzipped@

As you see, the file.bin has a preceding "Kopt -kb" to mark it as binary
file. When I take a look into the ,v-files in the repository, the content of
both files looks like this:

> <snip>
> 1.1
> date     2005.09.23.07.16.10;  author tom;  state Exp;
> branches 1.1.1.1;
> next     ;
> kopt   o;
> deltatype   text;
> permissions	666;
>
> 1.1.1.1
> date     2005.09.23.07.16.10;  author tom;  state Exp;
> branches ;
> next     ;
> kopt   o;
> deltatype   text;
> permissions	666;
> <snip>

Could you please take a look at this problem? Thanks in advance.

--
Best regards,
Thomas Singer