[cvsnt] I get 'file in the way' errors when I don't think I should.

Richard Kerry Richard.Kerry at bbc.co.uk
Fri Sep 30 13:54:58 BST 2005

I recently asked this on the Tortoise list and have been advised it is a
CVS issue, so I'm raising it here.

When I do an Update of my whole project I seem to get a lot of 'file in
the way' errors, on files that I don't believe should be giving them.

I find I get them on certain .exe files in one of my projects (and some
other files).  And only when I do an Update of the whole project.

Ie.
There are exes in MyProject/windows/bin/drivers

If I do an Update of MyProject, it tells me all the exes in
MyProject/windows/bin/drivers are 'in the way', but all the ones in
MyProject/windows/bin are fine.
If I do an Update of MyProject/windows/bin/drivers, it's perfectly
happy.
They are not, to the best of my understanding of CVS, 'in the way' in
its terms.
That's to say -  They are files that are in the repository in that place
in the project tree, which is where I got them from, and I haven't
modified my local ones.
My understanding of the term is that it should arise if you've created a
file that has a name that's expected to be in the project.  Typically
this would happen if two people create files of the same name in the
same place in their sandboxes.  One of them Adds it and Commits it.  The
other attempts an Update, and because CVS knows that they didn't get the
file from CVS, it is 'in the way' of the incoming one from CVS.
But that's not what happened.  The file did originate from CVS.

Can anyone advise whether there is anything that I'm doing that's
causing this, or is it a fault in CVSNT or its client.

I've just tried this process from both WinCvs and Tortoise.
In both cases windows/bin/drivers appears in the initial greyed out and
preceded by '?' list of folders being ignored.

>From WinCvs I find that from WinCvs doesn't actually update
windows/bin/drivers.  But it does windows/bin and windows/bin/install
and some others at that level.

>From Tortoise the result is as described above.  It does appear to
update windows/bin/drivers, with messages of the form :
cvs.exe update: move away windows/bin/drivers/MyDriver.exe: it is in the
way

Uncertainly,
Richard.

PS.
WinCvs 2.0.2.4 (Build 4)
cvs ver
Client: Concurrent Versions System (CVSNT) 2.0.51d (client/server)
Server: Concurrent Versions System (CVSNT) 2.5.01 (Travis) Build 1969
(client/server)

TortoiseCVS version 1.8.17
CVS version: Concurrent Versions System (CVSNT) 2.0.62.1817
(client/server)

http://www.bbc.co.uk/

stated.
BBC monitors e-mails sent or received.