[cvsnt] Re: 2.0.58d/mergepoints

Gerhard Fiedler lists at connectionbrazil.com
Fri Sep 30 20:24:18 BST 2005

Tony Hoyle wrote:

> A mergepoint is basically point where you say 'for this version Branch A
> == Branch B', and this works both ways.. eg. if you merge a->b, commit,
> then b->a, there won't be anything to merge.

I may be dense in my head, but I don't get this. Maybe this is related to
the fact that I never really understood what exactly a mergep oint is or
does, besides a line in the revision history that tells me when a merge
happened, and a little magic that tells the merge command where to
re-start. (Is there any documentation about this?)

Let's say I have branch A with changes, and branch B with changes (both
from a common ancestor). I merge A into B, resolve any conflicts, and
commit (to B). Now I have in branch B all changes from the common ancestor
to the tip of both branches A and B, plus of course the conflict resolution
changes that occurred during the merging process. And I have a merge point,
pointing from the tip of branch A to the tip of branch B.

But in branch A, I continue to have /only/ the changes that happened on
branch A -- not the changes of branch B, not the conflict resolution
changes applied during the merge. Therefore, on a subsequent merge from
branch B into branch A there should be something to merge, shouldn't there?

For me, merge points are not really /points/, they are /arrows/: they have
a start point and an end point, and as such are not bi-directional. But
then, as I said, I may not get it...

Thanks,
Gerhard