[cvsnt] Re: 2.0.58d/mergepoints

Tony Hoyle tony.hoyle at march-hare.com
Fri Sep 30 21:46:57 BST 2005

David Hauck wrote:

> BTW, the symmetric result of the two-branch mergepoint example you describe
> below isn't clear to me (as I believe Gerhard is also questioning). This
> isn't something that I came across in the documentation, but perhaps this
> side effect is explicitly described somewhere else?

It's actually rare to merge bidirectionally... branches normally have a
heirarchy, so you wouldn't want to merge in reverse.

The whole bidirectional equivalence thing was put in a couple of years
back by someone who badly needed it...  I've done a great many merges
since and it's never merged the wrong code or missed anything, so it
does its job...