[cvsnt] Re: How to Import module without modify the tag

Lehman, Curtis CLehman at carrieraccess.com
Fri Sep 30 21:49:20 BST 2005

>>Is there any way I can prevent the tag being update by the CVS?
>>What I want to do is to compare the source from my own with the
>>original, however with this tag different, almost every file show
>>modified.
>>I am currently using wincvs which location in my personal desktop.
>>

> You are not talking about tags at all!
> Tag is a way cvs uses to mark a set of files as connected to each
> other across many revisions.
> What you are talking about is keyword expansion which you should
> switch off during updates and checkouts. There is a switch for this in
> these commands (I am not sure of the exact usage since we never have
> any keywords in our files and so do not need these switches.)
>
> /Bo
> (Bo Berglund, developer in Sweden)

>I think you want to add the -k-v option to your checkout or update. This
>should prevent the keywords from being expanded during checkout or update.

Beware, I'm having the same issue on two different projects at where I work.
Below is what I have learned so far.

One project, I have to release code as a library from one project and import
it on another project. Since I only have a few header files, use the -kv
option on the checkout/update to solve this problem.

On the other project, I haven't found away around the project. Again the
code is being exported from one project, this time a contract who is also
using CVS and the $id$, and me importing it into my project. They can't use
the -kv option because they have hundreds of files, a good deal of which are
saved as binary files. When you checkout/update/export using the -kv option
on a project it does that option for all the files, i.e. including the
binary ones. The binary files are getting corrupted because the -kv option
causes them to be tread as text files.

If you could, please be sure to post any work around you find. It might help
me with my scenario.

Thanks,
Curt