[cvsnt] CVSNT not working on my XP home box

Mark lists at mark-arnold.net
Sat Apr 1 20:58:04 BST 2006

   Hi,
   I am having big-time problems getting cvsnt to do anything.
   After first trying to get it set up with Eclipse without success, I
   tried to connect the regular commandline cvs client to the server - no
   success either.
   Both server and client are running on the same machine.
   I use version 2.5.03 (Scorpio) build 2260, which I just downloaded
   today (4/1 -hope this is not some f..ed-up version someone uploaded as
   april-fools joke???).
   Here is what I do:
       C:\Program Files\CVSNT>set
   CVSROOT=:pserver:mark at localhost:/cvsrepo
       C:\Program Files\CVSNT>cvs login
       Logging in to :pserver:mark at localhost:2401:/cvsrepo
       CVS Password:
       cvs [login aborted]: Error reading from server localhost: -1:
   Unknown error
   This same error message comes back no matter what command I try, "cvs
   info", for example returns the same "Error reading from server
   localhost: -1: Unknown error".
   The repository exists and looks like it was created properly.
   I tried connection to the server using "telnet localhost 2401". The
   connection gets set up, and as soon as I type the first character, it
   gets closed with some weird looking character (it looks just like two
   cursors that remained on that line. The next line is my regular DOS
   prompt.
   When I use the "CVSNT control panel" to stop the CVS server and then
   try connecting, the connection times out, so it must be CVSNT that is
   listening to this port...
   Any idea???
   Thanks
   MARK