[cvsnt] Re: lockserver questions

Glen Starrett glen.starrett at march-hare.com
Wed Apr 5 18:37:15 BST 2006

Anderson, Allan wrote:
> I was able to check things out easily. I think this has created a
> permissions problem, however, since when I try to check in a change from
> TortoiseCVS I get an error about not having permission to alter a lock file.
> I'm just running as a pserver (eventually, we want to set up Samba and
> authenticate against the Windows domain, but for now I'm just working off of
> the NIS users). I see during the check in that cvsnt is running as my user
> -- is this the problem, that cvslockd is creating things that only root can
> change? Can I solve it by changing the permissions in my cvs repository, or
> by launching cvslockd in a different manner?

You're off to a good start.  The lock files aren't used anymore by
CVSNT, the lock server replaces them.

It sounds like you might have an older CVS on your system (it is
installed by default on a number of systems).  Make sure CVSNT is the
*only* CVS on your system.  Do a cvs -V to verify.

> My second question relates to something I see on the march-hare website. It
> mentions as a feature of the Professional package the ability to store
> repositories on a SAN. My above tests are all on a local drive, but our IT
> department wishes to store the source code repository on a SAN, or at least
> on NFS. (Pardon me, I'm a little fuzzy on the specifics here.) I believe
> they are using some sort of virtualization. Am I right that I would not be
> able to store my CVSNT repository on a networked filesystem without
> purchasing your folks (no doubt exemplary) Professional software and
> support?

You're welcome to try it on your own, but it is only supported for the
Professional level and above customers.  March Hare can also provide
Administrator training and install & configuration for your system so
that you know you're getting the best possible setup.  Use the March
Hare website or email me directly for more information.

Regards,

--
Glen Starrett