[cvsnt] UTF-8Y header added when checking in

Sat Apr 15 10:13:37 BST 2006

Hello everybody,

I suspect  CVSNT to add an UTHF-8Y header (Sequence 0xEF 0xBB 0xBF at
the beginning of the file content)  to files that I check in. I
observed the header a few times before on checked out files and
thought my editor added it som time before I checked in. However, here
is what I experienced today:

- I edited file A
- I committed the file to cvs
- I checked out the file to a different location
- A parser parsing the file went nuts, so I checked the file and found
the UTF-8Y header
- I checked the file at the checkin location and found that it did not
contain the header. strangely enough, WinCVS already marked the file
as changed.
- Performing a diff showed that the only difference was the UTF-8Y header

The only 2 scenarios I can imagine are:
A:
- Just before commiting "IT" added the header to my file
- commit happened
- header was removed again, therefore WinCVS show a modified file
But why should this happen and what is "IT"?

B:
- When commiting the file, CVSNT client or sever does something wrong,
causing the header only to exist on the server (i.e. in the
repository)
Sounds more sensible, but why is WinCVS aware of the change then...

Unfortunately i cannot tell a safe way to reproduce this behaviour, so
I can just ask whether this effect is known to anybody. Strangely
enough I never saw this effect before this week, but now quite
frequently, without changing client or server version.

$ cvs version
Client: Concurrent Versions System (CVSNT) 2.5.02 (Servalan) Build 2115 (client/
server)
Server: Concurrent Versions System (CVSNT) 2.5.02 (Servalan) Build 2115 (client/
server)

"Expansion option" of the file is kv
Best regards
 Tobias