[cvsnt] Renaming files with 'cvs rename' and keyword expansion

David Planella david.planella at gmail.com
Tue Apr 18 16:08:23 BST 2006

Hi all,

I'm using the following cvs version:

 (CVSNT) 2.5.03 (Scorpio) Build 2151 (client/server)

Both client and server are running on a Win XP SP2 machine and I've got
the following problem:

I've been trying to rename a file (I know this is still an experimental
feature) by using 'cvs rename <source> <target>' and then 'cvs ci
<module-containing-the-file>'. It all seemed to work well. I first
released the files, then I did a new checkout of the module containing
the file that I had just renamed, and I got the file with the new name
as expected.

The only problem was that the $Id$ keyword contained in the file was not
expanded to the new name but to the old one (the original one before
renaming). Even after forcing a commit, the name to which the keyword is
expanded is still the old one.

After having had a look at the repository, I noticed that renaming the
file and committing the module did not change the name of the RCS (,v)
file in there, but only added a .directory_history,v file (but I guess
that's how it works).

The questions then are:

1.- Is this normal behaviour?
2.- If so, is there a workaround for this (i.e. is it possible to get
keyword expansion to work with the new name after renaming)?

Many thanks in advance.