[cvsnt] Re: Escape sequences in $Id$ tags

Michael Wojcik Michael.Wojcik at microfocus.com
Fri Apr 28 14:41:57 BST 2006

Apparently,
> > because my id starts with u and in this case is preceded with a \
from the
> > domain name, the compiler thinks it's an escape code.  Can we tell
CVSNT to
> > ignore domain names?
>
> The domain name is going to be significant in larger networks and
> shouldn't just be ignored.  Maybe a substitution of / for \ in the
> username string would be sufficient?  It would still parse for human
> readers, and shouldn't be trouble for most compilers.

That seems like the best option to me.  A conforming C implementation
won't care about (apparent) Unicode / ISO 10646 escapes in a comment
(ISO 9899:1999 6.4.3 and 6.4.9), but apparently some Java compilers do.

Note that many (though not all) Windows applications are happy to use a
forward slash instead of a backslash between domain and username anyway,
just as most Windows applications other than cmd.exe built-ins are happy
to take forward slashes as path separators.  So substituting a forward
slash in the expansion of the Id (and Author, Header, Locker, and Log)
keywords wouldn't be all that odd.

--
Michael Wojcik
Principal Software Systems Developer, Micro Focus