[cvsnt] Unable to resolve merge conflicts

Tony Eva teva at Airspan.com
Tue Aug 1 09:58:23 BST 2006

Arthur Barrett wrote:
> See the manual for the reasons and the defined behaviour:
> http://www.cvsnt.org/manual/html/Conflicts-example.html

Yes, I read that.  It's confusing because it seems to imply
that by changing the timestamp of the file, the conflict will
be *visibly* resolved.  It isn't.  The status doesn't change,
and the only way I can find out if a conflict has been
resolved is either to grep for the conflict markers (blech)
or try a "cvs -n commit" and see what happens (blech again).
IMHO again, since CVSNT knows that the conflict is resolved,
it should tell me somehow (like changing the status, as CVS
does).

> Read up about change sets (bug id's) [ ... ]

Bugids do get round the issue of not having all commits in one
commitid, but that's not my real issue here, which is that of
invisible conflict resolution.

> I'm pretty sure "cvs update" does that.  If I have conflicts
> I always cvs update again before I commit (usually because on
> seeing conflicts I decide to leave the problem until I'm in
> the mood to resolve the conflicts).

No, it doesn't.  I tried that already (and just tested it again
now) and "cvs update" has no effect on the conflict status.

Like you, I sometimes leave conflicts for later resolution;
and sometimes I have to leave the resolution half-finished and
resume it later.  It's *really* annoying that I can't come back
and easily see which files I've sorted out and which I haven't.