[cvsnt] Modules2 Config Question

Eric Everman eeverman at usgs.gov
Thu Aug 3 08:01:58 BST 2006

Hi - We are trying to use the modules2 file to 'nest' one directory
in another (similar to an amperstand in the modules file).  We have
these modules/directories checked into CVSNT:

================ Real CVS Directories=========================
_scratch/test/public_html
_scratch/import1/public_html/css/...files...
_scratch/import2/public_html/css/...files...

We tried to nest the contents of those /css/ directories under the /
test/public_html/ directory by making a modules2 entry like this:

================ modules2 =========================
[import_test]
/ = _scratch/test
public_html/import1_css = _scratch/import1/public_html/css
public_html/import2_css = _scratch/import2/public_html/css

Hoping that this command:     cvs co import_test
Would result in a structure like this:

================ Desired checked out directory structure
=========================
import_test/public_html  [contains all the *real* files and sub-
directories of this module]
import_test/public_html/import1_css  [contains files from _scratch/
import1/public_html/css]
import_test/public_html/import1_css  [contains files from _scratch/
import2/public_html/css]
==

This didn't work and the docs on the modules2 file are a bit...
thin.  Can someone point out where we are going wrong?

The key thing is that the checked out public_html directory needs to
contain its 'real' files and 'real' subdirectories as well as the two
imported subdirectories - this in particular seems to cause an
error.  We really have to have it this way b/c the html directory
will constantly have files added and removed (we can't be modifying
the modules2 file for each change) and the imported directories must
be under the html directory to function.

We're also a bit stumped on how to NOT alias this module. I've named
it 'import_test' in this example, but I would prefer it's real name,
'_scratch/test'.

One other thing:  We intend for the 'nested' directories not to be
editable when checked out in this fashion.  To edit those files, a
client should need to check out the files on the 'real' path.  Thus,
someone who checked out a project using these shared files would not
be able to accidently check in changes that would affect all users of
the shared library.

Thanks in advance for your help - this is really perplexing us.

Eric Everman
USGS