[cvsnt] CVS server in windows 98/ME

Bo Berglund bo.berglund at telia.com
Fri Aug 11 06:56:17 BST 2006

On Thu, 10 Aug 2006 21:26:21 -0700 (PDT), prashanth chandra
<shanth_chandra at yahoo.com> wrote:

>  Hi,
>
> When i am trying to  install CVS server cvsnt-2.5.03.2382.msi
>in windows 98/Me i am getting  an error saying "CVSNT service
>failed to start. You must have  sufficient system privileges".
>
> When i am trying to do the same  in Win XP/2000 then it is
>working fine. Would just like to know if  cvsnt-2.5.03.2382.msi
>supports for Win 98/ME. I have installed the  cvsnt server
>particularly for Win 98/ME from www.cvsnt.org . Could anyone
>please let me know how to install CVS server on Win 98/ME.

It was long ago that Wintendo support was skipped for CVSNT. You can
be happy that client side operations may still work, but server.....

Notice that CVSNT will not work properly on Windows XP Home edition
either. This is because of limitations in the operating system. You
need an NT class system (W2K, XP-Pro, W2003) if you run it on Windows.
But you can also install CVSNT on Linux, you don't have to use
Windows.

For what reason could you seriously consider running a CVSNT server on
such an unreliable operating system???

HTH

/Bo
(Bo Berglund, developer in Sweden)