[cvsnt] Replacement for 'commit -r 2.0'?

Yongwei Wu wuyongwei at gmail.com
Sat Aug 12 07:46:56 BST 2006

On 8/12/06, Gabriel Genellina <gagsl-cvsnt at yahoo.com.ar> wrote:
> At Friday 11/8/2006 23:59, Yongwei Wu wrote:
>
> >It seems '-r' support for commit is gone, though it is not consistent
> >with the documentation. While -r TAG can be replaced by other
> >commands, I would like to know what can be used to achieve the effect
> >of increase the version number?
>
> In short: you can't.
> Revision numbers should be considered an internal implementation
> detail of CVSNT. Rumors say that they could disappear in the future...
> Use tags instead and don't pay attention to revision numbers.
>

> Gabriel Genellina
> Softlab SRL

So CVSNT is breaking compatibility with CVS now? This is quite
surprising. What if a CVS client does this operation while the server
is CVSNT?

BTW, that CVS feature looks useful to me. In my current attempt, I am
not to increase the version number to 2.0, but to make it the same as
the same file in another repository. I know nothing of the roadmap of
CVSNT, but at least $Version$ shows useful version information visible
to the user, which the user might want to adjust in certain
circumstances.

Best regards,

Yongwei
--