[cvsnt] Replacement for 'commit -r 2.0'?

Tim Chippington Derrick tim at chippingtonderrick.co.uk
Sun Aug 13 12:33:59 BST 2006

At 11:30 13/08/2006, Tony wrote:
>David Somers wrote:
> > Are you thinking of doing this over port 2401 by extending the cvs
> > client/server protocol, or on another port using a different protocol?
>
>Over 2401.  It'll be setup so that replication requests would
>normally only be
>allowed from specific servers (so each server would have to know something
>about the other eg. have a password of perhaps an SSL certificate).

This would be quite useful for us - we do software development both
here in the main office and on customer sites, and when working on
customer sites we sometimes use a local CVSNT server on a laptop with
a straight copy of the whole repository. When we come back "home" we
then merge the changed projects/modules back into the main repository
on the main server. This is a process that is OK if done carefully,
but fraught with potential for making stupid mistakes. But a nice
well-structured process for synchronising two (or more) CVSNT servers
and their repositories (or even just modules in a repository) would
potentially be much simpler to use and very useful.

Tim