[cvsnt] Usage of links in CVSNT UNIX repositories alllowed?

David Somers dsomers at omz13.com
Sun Aug 13 13:52:25 BST 2006

Jan Giesen wrote:

> Is it allowed to use hard or soft links in a CVSNT repository under UNIX
> to mirror single ,v RCS files to a different directory in the repository?
> This would also be a simple way to share common files between different
> repositories.

Use modules2 (or modules) to share modules/files.

IMHO, modules2 is easier to use than modules. YMMV.

> Our tests have shown that it works; but which risks are connected to such
> a practice?
>
> How will the lockserver handle a situation, e.g. when an update is
> committed at exactly the same point of time for the original and for the
> link?

The lockserver does not handle linked files in any special way... as far as
it is concerned the linked files are separate artifacts.

> Can risks be reduced, if the link is protected (no commit possible) via a
> lock (-k+x) or marked as static (-k+s)?

Possibly... you'd have to manually lock/unlock the files affected...
probably easier to use modules/modules2.

David.