[cvsnt] Usage of links in CVSNT UNIX repositories alllowed?

Tony Hoyle tony.hoyle at march-hare.com
Mon Aug 14 01:02:20 BST 2006

David Somers wrote:
>> When I look to the bug reports w.r.t "modules2" in this list, I conclude
>> that the usage of modules2 with CVSNT 2.5.x should be deprecated.
>
> Depreciated... or, shock horror, how about being fixed?

modules2 should theoretically be much more powerful because it works at a
lower level... modules has problems when you do things like update -d because
it only really runs as a layer on top of the standard checkout.

OTOH for 2.6 I ran into problems with it for the next test release.  I'll
reinstate it later but may replace (or augment) it with something even more
powerful (that's really only in the back of my mind at the moment - need to
thrash the idea about a bit first (my post in -dev about it at some point).

> FWIW, I've used modules2 in a test repository and it works for me (but then
> again I'm doing very very simple stuff with it - just shadowing some
> modules within other modules - no filtering). YMMV.

It does work but some of the more complex scenarios break down due to the
amount of translation required.  2.6 is much simpler (the virtual FS takes
care of the hard bits) but then there are other problems with that :)  I
really need to get down and get that to production quality...