[cvsnt] newbie branch/merge question

Gerhard Fiedler lists at connectionbrazil.com
Mon Aug 14 15:55:19 BST 2006

Nick Duane wrote:

> This looks good, thanks!  I think I'll give this a shot.  I'll do a dry run
> first on my own test server.  As I stated in a previous post we may end up
> having to use cvs 1.11 which I guess will make branching/merging a bit
> trickier, but as long as we follow a set of guidelines I'm hoping we should
> be ok.

Main difference is the absence of merge points. You may want to use three
tags per merge (following the rule that you can't have too many tags, but
you can have too few <g>):

- Branch you merge to: tag the code before the merge.
- Branch you merge to: tag the code after the merge. These two allow you to
review later what happened during the merge. Maybe you find a strange bug
later, and can trace it back to a merge error. Can be enlightening.
- Branch you merge from: tag the code you are merging in. This code won't
get changed by the merge, so it's the same before and after the merge.

I think the latter two are what a cvsnt merge point is.

Gerhard