[cvsnt] Project structure in repository as it relates to branching

Bo Berglund bo.berglund at telia.com
Tue Aug 15 00:37:52 BST 2006

On Tue, 15 Aug 2006 01:27:20 +0200, Bo Berglund
<bo.berglund at telia.com> wrote:

>>If so, what is the outcome?  At some
>>later point in time bugs are reported in both applications so I branch both
>>of them at tag t-rel-3-8 and call the branch b-rel-3-8.  Does this work?
>>What is the outcome?  The modules feature appears to hide the underlying
>>structure of the repository, which sounds good.  So the developer working on
>>app1 thinks he/she has their own copy of lib1 and the developer working on
>>app2 thinks he/she has their own copy of lib1.  They each make separate
>>fixes to lib1 contained within their app.  They commit their changes and tag
>>the release.  What is the result?  Does the b-rel-3-8 branch of lib1 contain
>>both fixes?
>
>If a fix is made in shared code then the first person committing his
>changes will be able to do this, but the second person will have a
>local version of the file that is not up-to-date anymore so he needs
>to do a cvs update first to make sure he has a tip revision (this will
>merge in the changes made by the first person to his copy of the
>file).
>Of course if this happens it is prudent to check if the file still
>builds OK before committing.
>But after the second commit the file now contains both fixes.

Clarification:
Of course the above statement only holds if the tag names proposed by
you are used because then both apps share the same branch. By using
different names as suggested by me both developers are completely on
their own and the combination is only visible (merged) when the two
branches are merged back to trunk.

HTH

/Bo
(Bo Berglund, developer in Sweden)