[cvsnt] Project structure in repository as it relates to branching

Bo Berglund bo.berglund at telia.com
Tue Aug 15 06:28:04 BST 2006

On Mon, 14 Aug 2006 21:28:04 -0300, Gerhard Fiedler
<lists at connectionbrazil.com> wrote:

>Bo Berglund wrote:
>
>> (The tag move is an option for cvs tag but is often set).
>
>Is this a good idea? For exactly the reason to prevent accidental moves of
>tags (which can't be undone easily, unless you log the tagging somehow) I'd
>think this is a rather dangerous thing to have set as default.

I did not say it was a default.
But in clients like for example WinCvs it is very easy to set the
option. Just check the box "Overwrite existing tags with the same
name" and you are ready to move the tag.

But look at it the other way: if the tag is not moved and you are
tagging your snapshot with tag name that already exists, then after
the tag is done you do not have the file revisions you think tagged,
so if you now check out the tag you put there some or all of the files
will change to different revisions. Not the intention behind using the
tag in the first place.
So making a tag name unique by adding the app name and possibly the
date makes sense to me at least.

HTH

/Bo
(Bo Berglund, developer in Sweden)