[cvsnt] Merging across several child (bugfix) branches

John Hall john-news3 at cambridgetechgroup.com
Tue Aug 15 11:24:59 BST 2006

"Vitaly Kouzin" <kouzin at infotecs.ru> wrote in message
news:mailman.20.1155629718.3158.cvsnt at cvsnt.org...

> Thanks, John. I've found the thread. From what I've read I've learned
> there
> are two possible solutions to the merge problem:
>
> (a) create bugfix branches so that they share the same branchpoint, and
>
> (b) for the first time merge the branches using a script, then rely upon
> the new mergepoints.

Vitaly,

I think you have to carry on using the script, since the mergepoints will
only get created when there are actual changes to a particular file.

>> The script is very slow, since it issues two cvs commands per file, and
>> also
>> doesn't support files added to branch b1, but it does work. For us, the
>> number of commits to b1 will be fairly small now that we have b2, and
>> will
>> decrease to zero over time, so I can cope with the deficiencies of this
>> approach.
>
> The speed is not an issue for us :) By the way, I think taking into
> account files added on a branch wouldn't be too difficult. One can
> issue "cvs log" for the whole directory tree: the output should
> contain information on all the files in the tree, not only on those on
> the current branch.

That's a good idea - my script reads the CVS/Entries files - but doing 'cvs
log' per directory sounds better. My initial idea was to do 'cvs -n
update -j b1' to get a list of files that required merging, but 'cvs -n
update' doesn't work as I expected it to.

If you want a copy of my script then let me know.

cheers,
John