[cvsnt] cvs checkout/add ignoring $CVSROOT environment variable?

David Somers dsomers at omz13.com
Tue Aug 15 14:48:05 BST 2006

Nick Duane wrote:
[snip]
> Here is my environment variable:
>
> C:\data\temp\cvsinit>set $CVSROOT
> $CVSROOT=:sspi:redbonemobile:/pom

Don't prefix with a $.

set CVSROOT=:sspi:redbonemobile:/pom

[pom? That's not some Antipodean joke is it? :-) ]

> The docs show all the environment variables with the preceeding $, not
> sure if that's just indicating they are environment variables or the
> variable is
> actually supposed to have the prepended $.  In any case I tried it both
> with and without the $ and the behavior was the same.

$ (or to a lesser extend #) is the linux/unix prompt... just imagine its
C:>.

BTW, when you are working in a sandbox, the CVSROOT environment variable is
ignored... the system will magically use the same CVSROOT setting that was
used when the sandpit was created (use the -d gloabl option to override)

David.