[cvsnt] cvs checkout/add ignoring $CVSROOT environment variable?

Nick Duane nickdu at msn.com
Tue Aug 15 15:21:44 BST 2006

But this is a clean repository so I don't have any modules.  I'm actually
trying to create a root module (directory) in the repository.  It was/is not
obvious to me the best way to go about doing this.  I can't call cvs add
since I don't have a sandbox yet.  That's why I did:

cvs checkout ./

This created the CVSROOT directory in my current directory.  At this point I
can now execute cvs add.  But as I said, it appears to be ignoring my
environment variable.  David indicated that once you have a sandbox cvs
ignores the environment variables which would lead me to believe that it's
the checkout that is not doing what I'm expecting it to do.  I guess it's
checking out ./ from /pom2 as opposed to /pom.

Thanks,
Nick

"Bo Berglund" <Bo.Berglund at system3r.se> wrote in message
news:mailman.23.1155650517.3158.cvsnt at cvsnt.org...
In a command window:

set CVSROOT=:sspi:redbonemobile:/pom
cvs ls

This should show you the top level modules on repository /pom

next

set CVSROOT=:sspi:redbonemobile:/pom2
cvs ls

Now the modules listed are those from repo pom2

This has always worked for me and I use it a lot.

Notice that your syntax is wrong. Your environment variable is CVSROOT,
not $CVSROOT.

The $CVSROOT designator is used when you want to access the environment
variable from the script command line in for example CVSROOT/loginfo.

But here you are dealing with plain old Windows environment variables
and no $ is used.

Best regards,

Bo Berglund