[cvsnt] newbie branch/merge question

Nick Duane nickdu at msn.com
Wed Aug 16 20:09:21 BST 2006

"Gerhard Fiedler" <lists at connectionbrazil.com> wrote in message
news:10e87d9caf8gq$.dlg at connectionbrazil.com...

> I think here is missing a check for files that are in 3.7.2 but not
> anymore
> in 3.7.3; that is, files that have been removed from the project. For that
> you have two options: Either you don't only copy in step 4, but rather
> delete all project files (version 3.7.2 -- but do /not/ delete all the CVS
> subdirectories and any files in them) and then copy the 3.7.3 files in, or
> you run a directory compare utility and see which files have been removed
> in 3.7.3. If you use the first option, WinCvs for example will show you
> which files have been removed. In any case, these files should be "cvs
> remove"d from the repository before committing.

Well I started my effort.  I added all the files from 3.7.2 to the
repository and tagged it.  I then checked out this module and deleted all
the files, except the cvs directories and their contents.  I copied over the
3.8 files into my working directory.  I was hoping that WinCVS would then
show me what files had been deleted and what files had been changed.  I
guess it would also show me which files were new.  Unfortunately WinCVS
pretty much showed all files as having been modified.  When I diff'd some of
the files they showed no difference.  I noticed that for the files that were
not actually changed (but showed as changed in WinCVS) after running cvs
status on that file from a command window the file would no longer be shown
as modified in WinCVS.  By the way, the cvs status command showed the file
as up to date.  I realize this is not a WinCVS support newsgroup, but if
anyone knows why this is happening and a way around it I would appreciate
it.

Snippet from cvs\Entries from one directory below:

/main.cpp/1.1/Wed Aug 16 16:24:47 2006//
/version.rc/1.1/Wed Aug 16 16:24:47 2006//
D/EOMBusiness.LIB////
D/Performance////
/TibMessageParser.h/1.1/Tue Aug 15 19:26:29 2006//
/TibMessageParser.cpp/1.1/Tue Aug 15 19:26:29 2006//

The two files at the end are the ones I ran cvs status on.  Before running
status I'm sure they had Aug 16 as opposed to Aug 15.  When dir'ing the
directory the dates on the files are Aug 15.  Though when viewing properties
of the files I see that the modified date is the 15th, but the created date
is the 16th (which in itself seems a bit odd).  Do I just need to set the
created date equal to the modified date?

Thanks,
Nick