[cvsnt] cvs rename bugs

David Somers dsomers at omz13.com
Fri Aug 25 10:59:50 BST 2006

Mark Levedahl wrote:

> David Somers wrote:
>> Mark Levedahl wrote:
>>
>>> Using 2.5.03, Build 2382, I've found two bugs in cvs rename that
>>> required manual hacking of the repository for recovery:
>>
>> Hardly surprising since rename is experimental/unstable.
>>
>> Doing anything more complicated than an in-directory file rename is not
>> recommended... using it for moves across directories is mad.
>>
> Then perhaps March-Hare should not claim that cvsnt has rename, much
> less compare it to that of svn, etc?

If you have a problem with what March-Hare claim, take it up with them.

AFAIK, rename works, but just for renaming a file within a directory in the
2.5 release.... things like renaming a directory or using rename to move a
file don't work (yet) are planned for the 2.6 or later released.

BTW, you were using rename to move files... *rename* is, IMHO, not *move*.

I'm not sure how other people on this list feel, but to me there is a great
difference between a simple rename operation and wanting to move files
around. Perhaps rename should, therefore, be restricted to simple file or
directory rename operations, and moves done through a new command
(like "move"). Tony, others, thoughts?

--
David Somers
typographer/programmer/whatever