[cvsnt] cvs rename bugs

Joe.VanQuakebeke at ingenix.com Joe.VanQuakebeke at ingenix.com
Fri Aug 25 15:08:45 BST 2006

If we are taking a vote then I vote for two separate commands.
	cvs mv - moves a file to a separate directory (preserves
history).
	cvs rename - rename a file (preserves history) restricted to the
current directory.

	My personal opinion for the two operations is that these really
are two totally different operations.  If an engineer wants to rename
file, that should mean they want the file to have a different name.  If
an engineer wants to move a file then that should mean the engineer want
to move the file to a different directory.  Those are 2 very different
operations.  Even if Unix/Linux does allow the mv command to do both,
that does not mean that cvsnt should do the same thing. File System
changes mean very different things to an SCM tool and to an OS. The OS
doesn't care about history of operations, while the SCM tool cares
deeply about preserving this information.

Just my 2 cents.
Joe

"Secure Server GDV" made the following
 annotations on 08/25/2006 09:08:49 AM
------------------------------"This e-mail, including attachments, may include confidential and/or proprietary information, and may be used only by the person or entity to which it is addressed. If the reader of this e-mail is not the intended recipient or his or her authorized agent, the reader is hereby notified that any dissemination, distribution or copying of this e-mail is prohibited. If you have received this e-mail in error, please notify the sender by replying to this message and delete this e-mail immediately."