[cvsnt] --lf obsolete?

David Somers dsomers at omz13.com
Sun Aug 27 13:41:57 BST 2006

Yongwei Wu wrote:

> On 8/27/06, David Somers <dsomers at omz13.com> wrote:
>> Glen Starrett wrote:
>> > It's reasonable to keep some functionality for backward ability, but I
>> > believe there was some sort of issue with that.
>>
>> You could screw your repository if you didn't know what you are doing.
>
> What is the issue? And how can I screw my repository?
>
> My worst experience in this respect was that I wrongly committed a DOS
> file as a UNIX file, and CVS thought all lines were changed. But that
> was reversible and correctible, so I do not think it `screwed' the
> repository.

OK. Perhaps 'screwed' was too strong (since you can recover the file)...

It is mainly the issue that you commit with the wrong line endings... you
get into trouble later on since some applications can't cope with being
given wrong line endings (e.g. in the past I've had Windows applications
crash when I've fed them files with unix lineends instead of Windows
linenends). IIRC, Visual Studio 6 is very sensitive about lineendings in
prj files.

--
David Somers
typographer/programmer/whatever