[cvsnt] Repository corruption

Gabriel Genellina gagsl-cvsnt at yahoo.com.ar
Tue Aug 29 05:02:21 BST 2006

At Monday 28/8/2006 18:56, Bo Berglund wrote:

>Then I ran a cvs update on that module in a sandbox expecting the file
>to appear, but it didn't...
>----------------------------
>revision 1.3
>date: 2006/08/28 13:37:29;  author: wangnick;  state: dead;  lines: +0

The file is 'dead' at revision 1.3, that is, it was deleted. That's
why you didn't get it asking for HEAD.

cvs update -r1.2 titeltext.gif does not report any error (but
produces an incomplete GIF file).
cvs update -r1.1 titeltext.gif aborts with the error originally posted.

Looking at the RCS file, the error is in the deltas for rev 1.1, at
the end. The sequence "d1 9" is invalid, that means to delete lines 1
thru 9 but revision 1.2 has only 4 lines of "text".
Changing that to:

@d1 4
a1 4
GIF89...

makes it valid (and gives a valid GIF file too for rev 1.1)

So, it appears that the 1.3 rev should be larger than it is now;
presumably 9 lines long. Perhaps someone modified the RCS file by
hand? Or maybe the RCS code in that old CVSNT version had a bug?
Might be significant that the deltatext section for rev 1.3 is
exactly 512 bytes length.

Gabriel Genellina
Softlab SRL

Preguntá. Respondé. Descubrí.