[cvsnt] --lf obsolete?

Yongwei Wu wuyongwei at gmail.com
Thu Aug 31 14:14:31 BST 2006

On 8/28/06, Yongwei Wu <wuyongwei at gmail.com> wrote:
> On 8/27/06, David Somers <dsomers at omz13.com> wrote:
> > Yongwei Wu wrote:
> > > My worst experience in this respect was that I wrongly committed a DOS
> > > file as a UNIX file, and CVS thought all lines were changed. But that
> > > was reversible and correctible, so I do not think it `screwed' the
> > > repository.
> >
> > OK. Perhaps 'screwed' was too strong (since you can recover the file)...
> >
> > It is mainly the issue that you commit with the wrong line endings... you
> > get into trouble later on since some applications can't cope with being
> > given wrong line endings (e.g. in the past I've had Windows applications
> > crash when I've fed them files with unix lineends instead of Windows
> > linenends). IIRC, Visual Studio 6 is very sensitive about lineendings in
> > prj files.
>
> It is really not that serious, and I strongly suggest drop the new
> warning. The same thing can happen if the DOS files are committed
> under Linux... I really saw such things happen when people who were
> supposed to work under Linux really copied files from Windows machines
> to Linux ones by scp (not FTP, which could correct the line ending).
>
> One must know what one is doing. `--lf' is not a default option: when
> one uses it, it is exactly like copying the file to a *NIX machine and
> doing things there. No one will blame you if he/she screwed things.
>
> A doubt here (cannot test right away): If I use `k+L' to check out the
> files, and I make the files into DOS line endings accidentally, won't
> the same things happen?

I tested `k+L' and confirmed it did *not* do what I want. I want
something like `--lf': the checked-out files are like in a UNIX
sandbox, both on check-out and on check-in (when there is keyword
expansion). I want the files to remain in UNIX line endings.
Unfortunately this is not what `k+L' does.

So I would like to request making `--lf' have the old behaviour, both
from the backward compatibility point of view, and from the
functionality point of view.

Best regards,

Yongwei

--