[cvsnt] Repository corruption

Sebastian Wangnick sebastian.home.nospam01 at wangnick.de
Thu Aug 31 15:14:09 BST 2006

Dear all,

I just found out that I had somewhen in the past installed CVSNT
(2.5.3.2260) in parallel to TortoiseCVS. I thought it came with TortoiseCVS
(I got confused by a message given during the TortoiseCVS 1.8.26
installation that my CVSNT was up to date and therefore not reinstalled by
TortoiseCVS or so).

Thus the CVSNT server was running all the time, and was even configured to
serve my CVSROOT repository. However, I never managed to get access to my
repository through CVSNT via TortoiseCVS, so I gave up on that route (I
tried again this morning, it always complains about a missing password, but
our Windows XP account is set up without password in the first place).

I presume this might have resulted in some race conditions or so when
TortoiseCVS used its own 2.0.58d cvs.exe to directly manipulate the
repository that the CVSNT server was serving as well in parallel, ultimately
resulting in the repository corruption that I am experiencing?

I've deinstalled CVSNT now, hoping that this will prevent the corruption
from occurring again.

I'm still a bit puzzled why the cvs.exe in the latest TortoiseCVS
distribution is that old.

Regards,
Sebastian Wangnick