[cvsnt] --lf obsolete?

Tony Hoyle tony.hoyle at march-hare.com
Thu Aug 31 18:29:46 BST 2006

Yongwei Wu wrote:
> -kL has two problems. 1) It does not persist: after the keyword
> expansion of a commit, the file returns to DOS line ending.

It does, as do all expansion options.

> 2) It does
> not work with a vanilla CVS server.

Not really an issue I can do anything about.

--lf doesn't either - it's vanilla CVS servers that suffer the
corruption issues (back when I first started using CVS we managed to
trash an entire project by someone doing that - took me 2 days to
recover everything and were still finding the odd corruption issue weeks
later).

Wanting to handle such files is such a rare case anyway then it's not
really an issue.  Software that runs on windows will handle cr/lf
because that's how windows works.. it's a pretty rare case that anything
will actually require these options - they're there for those that need
them though.  It's probably more likely that you'd need to use -k+D on a
unix server to preserve a DOS file than go the other way around.